Search in Medwell
 
 
Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances
Year: 2011 | Volume: 10 | Issue: 12 | Page No.: 1592-1597
DOI: 10.3923/javaa.2011.1592.1597  
Major Trematode Infections of Cattle Slaughtered at Jimma Municipality Abattoir and the Occurrence of the IntermediateHosts in Selected Water Bodies of the Zone
Abebe Fromsa , Behablom Meharenet and Berhanu Mekibib
 
Abstract: The study was conducted to estimate the prevalence of major trematodes of cattle slaughtered in Jimma Municipality Abattoir and to detect the occurrence of the intermediate snail hosts at selected water bodies of the area. The finding demonstrated the occurrence of fasciola, paramphistomum and shistosoma. Out of the total of 583 cattle examined with coproscopy (n = 198) or postmortem (n = 525), 264 (45.28%) were positive for fasciola and 313 (53.685%) were positive for paramphistomes. Of the total cattle slaughtered and examined at postmortem (n = 525), 253 (48.19%) and 302 (57.52%) were found positive for fasciola and paramphistomum, respectively. From the total of 253 livers found positive for fasciola infection, 91 (35.97%) harbored only F. gigantica, 86 (33.99%) harbored mixed fasciola infection and 76 (30.04%) harbored only F. hepatica. Similarly, out of the total of 302 fore-stomachs and duodenum infested with rumen fluke, 229 (75.83%) harbored P. cervi and the remaining 73 (24.17%) harbored undifferentiated Paramphistomum species. From the total of 198 faecal samples examined, 104 (52.53%) were positive for trematode eggs of which 44 (42.31%), 46 (44.23%) and 14 (13.46%) were positive for fasciolosis, paramphistomum and schistosoma infections, respectively. Coproscopic examination further showed mixed trematod infections with a frequency of 8.08, 4.04 and 0.51% for paramphitomum with fasciola, schistosoma with paramphistomum and schistosoma with fasciola, respectively. Among the considered risk factors, body condition of the examined cattle significantly affected (p<0.05) the prevalence of trematod infection. From malacological survey, the study further indicated the presence of Bulinus globusus, Bulinus truncatus, Biomphlaria pfeiriferi, Lymnea truncatula and Lymnea natalensis which are potential intermediate hosts of different trematodes. Trematodes are major obstacles for livestock production and productivity by inflicting remarkable direct and indirect losses in the study area. Control strategy to be implemented in the study area must also consider concurrent existence of trematode parasites in affected cattle population.
 
How to cite this article:
Abebe Fromsa, Behablom Meharenet and Berhanu Mekibib, 2011. Major Trematode Infections of Cattle Slaughtered at Jimma Municipality Abattoir and the Occurrence of the IntermediateHosts in Selected Water Bodies of the Zone. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, 10: 1592-1597.
DOI: 10.3923/javaa.2011.1592.1597
URL: http://medwelljournals.com/abstract/?doi=javaa.2011.1592.1597